Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Fantasy

I was reintroduced to fantasy by my middle child. She is an avid reader who has gone from classic literature to romance novels to Japanese manga to fantasy and back. She loves to read! Some of her favorite fantasy authors are Terry Prachett who wrote Wee Free Men and A Hatful of Sky and The Amazing Maurice (I thought this one was great!); and Garth Nix who wrote the Seventh Tower books, Lireal, Sabriel, Abhorsen, and the Keys to the Kingdom series (so far Mr. Monday, Grim Tuesday, and Drowned Wednesday.) No, she isn't a middle school reader; she will soon be finishing her master's degree.

I know many of the students enjoy fantasy, so I have read many of the books and have found many to be delightful. One of my favorites is Inkheart by Cornelia Funke; this was a book that I didn't want to end. I have enjoyed her other books too, The Thief Lord and Dragon Rider. Another great fantasy book is Eragon by Christopher Paolini, I believe the next book in this series is due out in August. Kate DiCamillo's The Tale of Despereaux: Being the Story of a Mouse, a Princess, some Soup, and a Spool of Thread is a wonderful tale of a rather odd tiny mouse with ears that are too big who falls desperately in love with a human, Princess Pea. This is a fairy tale that has grown! Yes, she is also the author of Because of Winn-Dixie.

Did the Harry Potter books spark our renewed interest in fantasy?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home