Sunday, April 17, 2005

Other Books

On the way to Chicago on Saturday, I finished Artemis Fowl: the Opal Deception. I enjoyed this one, and I think that the criminal character of Artemis may truly be changing. I also think that the author has left the door open for more in this series though they will probably be taking a turn from what has been written.

I am nearly finished with Kate Klise's Deliver Us from Normal. I bought this book because I grew up just four towns north of Normal, IL - where story begins. I tell you four towns north because the towns in that part of Illinois were originally there as water stops for the steam engines on the Illinois Central Railroad - every six miles there was a town. The book isn't quite what I had expected from the book jacket, but it presents the story of a sixth grade boy whose family is poor and in his opinion definitely not "normal". He is often humiliated by his family which can be humorous and also sad.

I learned that there will be a movie made from Anthony Horowitz's Stormbreaker. Book 6 is already out in England, the title is Arkangel. You can visit the Alex Rider Website to get a chapter.

2 Comments:

At 9:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deliver Us From Normal sounds appealing. Would it be appropriate for a fifth grader? I think it is important to help our young people develop an appreciation for the surrounding area so that they realize that all good things don't have to come from afar. In the long run, I believe this will help them recognize their own strengths and talents. It is my hope that this will encourage them to feel capable and called to make a contribution to society. This is a bit of a jump from your comments, but Deliver Us From Normal sounds like a book that might help move in that direction.

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Mrs.R said...

Yes, I think this book would be very appropriate for 5th graders. Another social issue that could be addressed with this novel is that kids don't want to be treated as if they are not normal.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home