Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Runner

“But the weather-beaten sailboat Chance Taylor and his father call home is thirty years old and hasn’t sailed in years. One step from both homelessness and hunger, Chance worries about things other kids his age never give a thought: Where will the money come for the electricity bill, grocery bill, and moorage fee?”

Chance’s mother left a long time ago and his father is an alcoholic. Running is the only thing Chance really likes to do, but he does not run on a school team. A fat guy offers him some easy money for running – “. . . But some days there will be a package. When there is, you slip the package into your backpack. . . .” Chance knows there is something not right, but he is desperate for money just to survive.


Carl Deuker weaves a story of mystery and intrigue. Is Chance involved with terrorists or drug smugglers? The story is fast paced and draws readers in. Melissa is smart and has no worries about money, and Chance wants to be like her and the others. "I'd always thought that if I had a few bucks in my pocket, I'd be even with kids like Melissa and Thomas and Annie and Natasha. Now I had money, probably more money than anyone else at the table, but it didn't even things up at all. They were still them, and I was still me."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home