Friday, June 16, 2006

Crossing the Wire

Will Hobbs takes the readers south into Mexico.

Hard times force Victor Flores to try to make it to el norte. He is not really eager to cross from Mexico into the United States, but he feels responsible for keeping his family since his father died in a construction accident in the United States. Victor won’t be coming to the United States legally. He feels he must enter the United States so that he can get a job to earn money to send to his family and save them from starvation.


Victor faces heat, cold, hunger, danger from both the Mexicans and the people from the United States. He walks many miles and over rough terrain to reach the Arizona. He is not successful on his first attempts, but he keeps trying.


This novel discusses an issue that is very relevant to current political movements. There are many illegal immigrants in the United States. There is much controversy about this issue.

The author takes the readers on an adventure different from Far North, Jason's Gold, and some of his other works.

1 Comments:

At 6:55 PM, Blogger Kris Canler said...

Hello, I recently happend onto your blog while searching for posts on the subject of Crossing the Wire. I have already read the book, so your post didn't concern me very much, but I would be interested to hear your opinion on an essay I wrote on the book. You see, recently I had to read the book for my 9th grade English class, and although I found it very easy reading, the story line was interesting and brought forward points I had never thought about before (although I do support the loosening of immigrations controls). I had to write an essay about the book and immigration for the class, which I posted on my blog. Click here and tell me what you think, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on it, especially from your perspective as a middle school teacher.

Kris

 

Post a Comment

<< Home